Monday, October 8, 2012

The brightwork is done! Finally!

I love the look of nicely cared for and crafted teak on a sailboat. It makes them shippy and romantic and warm...but I hope I never buy another boat with this much or more wood on it! It's been a long few weeks of detailed work to get the pieces here to a finished state. I finally finished last night by getting 3 coats of Honey Teak/Signature Finish clear coat on the exterior side of the companionway boards. They look like a piano finish!
This is cured, not wet! SHINY!!



These pieces are newer teak that the 2nd owner purchased.
They don't match the rest of the weathered and beaten teak, but
they sure are pretty!


The lazarette seat above is done with shiny coats as well! As soon as it's cured we can put the "piano hinge" back on and replace on the boat.

Of course with this weekend's cold (47 degrees all of a sudden!) and constant rain kept me from getting the topsides de-oxidized, polished and waxed. I hope to be able to do that this week before we have to put the boat in storage for the week.

Unfortunately our city's zoning board has left final notice that we have to move the boat either behind our house or off the premises. We live on a slope with no real access to our backyard, at least not big enough to back the boat down there, let alone anywhere to do the work. So off to covered storage down the street it will be! I'll just have to trailer it back to the house on weekends to work on it.

Bowsprit update:
So the epoxy and clamp appears to have worked for now, seems really solid. All in all I think it came out rather well. It's bruised and battered but working. Now to figure out how to reattach to the bow...ugh. this will be a trying experience that I hope goes as planned.
I neglected to get a shot of the piece gooped up with
epoxy and clamped! Needless to say, it took a lot of
60-grit sanding to get to this point.

The epoxy appears to have bonded the piece back together pretty well,
filled the gaps and ressurrected an otherwise nightmare of a part!
The repair I made on the right with the bung looks okay, I now wish
I'd have drilled the other side and made it match. I got tired of working on it
and just decided it was what it was!



Here it is coated with Honey Teak and 3 clear coats.
It's a gorgeous piece, even if it is beaten all to hell!

The sprit was attached with some red RTV looking sealant that
was resistant to all my scraping work. So I used the
3M Rubber Stripe Remover tool to great effect! All clean.
Next up to epoxy these holes, reinforce from behind somehow
and then counter sink some 3" SS screws into the sprit and into
the bow. I hope it works!!

Next up is to finally get the scupper mounted. I have prepared the boat's transom for sealant, drilled holes, now we wait for the large tube of 3M 4200 to arrive and the temps to come up a touch!


Next weekend we measure (3,4,5,6 times!!), drill and mount the new motor mount, remount the rudder, get the topsides finished and brightwork reinstalled! Then hopefully we can actually go for a sail before the season ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment